Beautification of NDMC Area
The Horticulture Department of NDMC under S. Chellaiah, Director (South) , is responsible for maintenance of this urban oasis strives to make New Delhi greener, more beautiful and provide healthy pollution free environment to the distinguished residents and visitors. NDMC maintains public greens of approximately 1100 acre area within its jurisdiction which comprise of Gardens, Colony Parks, Roadside Trees, Roundabouts, School greens, Greens of NDMC office, markets and residential complexes, open green spaces etc. Being the capital of the country, it is necessary to properly maintain the greens in the best of shape. In the year April 2007 CPWD Colony
Parks were transferred to NDMC on ‘as is where is’ basis and the Horticulture Department started basic beautification and maintenance works. The CPWD Colony Parks area is approximate 254 Acres.
Horticulture Department of NDMC undertakes following activities: –
- Maintenance of lawn – Grassing, watering, weeding, mowing, manuring, removal of horticultural waste etc.
- Plantation & Maintenance of Shrubs – Preparation of beds, plantation, watering, weeding, hoeing, shaping etc.
- Plantation & Maintenance of Trees – Digging of pits, filling with mixture, plantation, watering, hoeing, protection with tree guard, shaping etc.
- Maintenance of Hedges, Edges, Topiaries, Features etc.
- Plantation with themes for welfare and recreation of public and to provide healthy environment viz. Herbal Corner, Butterfly Section, Fragrant Corner, Yoga Corner.
- Sowing and maintenance of seasonal flowers – Preparation of seedlings, transplantation, weeding, watering, hoeing, pinching, dis budding, time to time gap filling etc.
- Preparation of Plant Material – Collection of seed/cuttings, preparation of mixture, filling of P. Bags/pots, treating with root hormones, plantation, air layering, watering, potting, re-potting, preparation of potted plants for participation in various flower shows and display purposes, time to time treatment with fungicides, insecticides etc.
- Disaster Management – Immediate disposal of uprooted trees/broken branches during heavy winds/squalls.
- Pruning of Trees – Removal of branches from Street Light, Traffic Signals, Signage and pruning up to permissible limits for balancing the tree.
- Time to time inspection and treatment of greenery with fungicides, insecticides, filling with cavity.
- Preparation of proposals, supervision and execution of various development works.
- Floral Decoration on various occasions like Independence Day, Republic Day, Gandhi Jayanti, New Year and during visits of various international dignitaries including premiers of different countries.